17 WSM Ammo Australia
The 17 Winchester Super Magnum (WSM) ammunition is a testament to the relentless pursuit of velocity and accuracy in the world of rimfire cartridges. Developed by Winchester, the 17 WSM offers shooters an exceptional combination of high velocity, flat trajectory, and precision. In this article, we’ll delve into the world of 17 WSM ammo, exploring its specifications, key attributes, applications, and the remarkable blend of speed and performance it brings to the realm of rimfire shooting.
- Caliber: 17 Winchester Super Magnum (17 WSM)
- Bullet Diameter: 0.172 inches
- Bullet Weight: Typically available in 20 or 25 grains
- Velocity: Varies by manufacturer and bullet weight, but generally ranges from 2,600 to 3,000 feet per second (fps)
- Muzzle Energy: Varies by manufacturer and bullet weight, typically in the range of 400 to 500 foot-pounds (ft-lbs)
- Primer Type: Rimfire
- Case Type: Rimfire
- Overall Length: Varies by manufacturer and bullet design
- Ballistic Coefficient (BC): Varies by bullet design, but generally offers a high BC due to the sleek bullets used in 17 WSM cartridges
Key Attributes and Features:
- Velocity and Flat Trajectory: The standout feature of 17 WSM ammo is its blistering velocity, which results in a remarkably flat trajectory. This allows shooters to engage targets accurately at extended distances without dealing with significant bullet drop.
- Small Caliber, Big Performance: Despite its small caliber, the 17 WSM packs a punch due to its high velocity. It delivers impressive terminal performance, making it suitable for varmint hunting and small game.
- Long-Range Potential: The combination of velocity and flat trajectory makes the 17 WSM an excellent choice for varmint and predator hunting at longer distances, where precision and wind drift are critical factors.
- Minimal Recoil: Thanks to its smaller caliber and lightweight bullets, the 17 WSM generates minimal recoil, making it a great option for shooters who prefer minimal kick.
Applications and Versatility:
The 17 WSM’s attributes make it versatile for various shooting applications:
- Varmint and Predator Hunting: The high velocity and flat trajectory of 17 WSM ammo make it an exceptional choice for hunting varmints and predators at extended distances.
- Target Shooting: The accuracy and minimal recoil of 17 WSM ammo make it suitable for target shooting, particularly for shooters looking to test their skills at longer ranges.
- Rimfire Competitions: While less common in rimfire competitions compared to other calibers, the 17 WSM’s performance makes it an interesting option for shooters who enjoy rimfire matches.
Cultural Significance and Influence:
The 17 WSM’s impact extends beyond its technical specifications:
- Advancements in Rimfire Performance: The development of 17 WSM ammo showcases the continuous drive to push the boundaries of rimfire cartridge performance, offering shooters a unique combination of speed and accuracy.
Conclusion: Velocity Meets Precision
The 17 WSM ammo stands as a testament to the potential of rimfire cartridges to achieve remarkable speeds and precision. Its high velocity, flat trajectory, and minimal recoil make it a compelling choice for varmint hunting, small game, and target shooting. As shooters seek ammunition that offers a unique balance of power and accuracy, the 17 WSM remains a remarkable option that showcases the ingenuity and innovation within the realm of rimfire cartridges.